Top 5 Heisman Trophy Candidates for 2012
The 2011 Heisman Trophy race has come to a close with Baylor Quarterback Robert Griffin III winning the award. Now it is time to talk about the early favorites for the 2012 Heisman Trophy which will not include Oregon Running back LaMichael James or raining Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III due to the possibility of both of them entering the 2012 NFL draft.
5. Michigan QB Denard Robinson, who was one of my favorites heading into the 2011 Heisman Trophy race. Robinson finished the 2011 regular season passing for 2056 yards and 18 touchdowns. He also rushed the ball 208 times for 1163 yards with 16 going for scores. Robinson will need to cut down on mistakes next season ( 14 interceptions in 2011) if he wants to be a legitimate Heisman contender past October.
4. Georgia QB Aaron Murray. I know that this sounds like a stretch but hear me out; Murray passed for 2698 yards and 32 touchdown passes after losing his top receiver last season AJ Green to the NFL. Murray was able to have a solid season with young receivers that were adjusting to the speed of college football playing in the best conference in college football the SEC. Murray has all the tools around him to have an outstanding season next year and could also get mentioned as a top pick in the 2013 NFL draft.
3. Clemson QB Tajh Boyd who had an outstanding season for the ACC champs. Boyd passed 3578 yards and 31 touchdowns in his first year as starting QB which lead to a resurgence of Clemson football. Boyd should have a great season next year because he now has the entire off-season to develop more chemistry with his amazing freshman All-American receiver Sammy Watkins which should lead to even more success next year.
2. USC QB Matt Barkley had an exceptional season even though his team could not participate in post season play. Barkley led the Pac-12 in passing touchdowns with 39. Barkley finished the regular season passing for 3528 yards and a 70 a completion percentage. Barkley is projected to be the top pick in the 2013 NFL Draft and should be an early Heisman Trophy favorite.
1. South Carolina RB Marcus Lattimore was having an incredible season until he injured his knee in the 7th game in the season. Lattimore had rushed for over 800 yards and 10 TDs while having to deal with the tough defenses of the SEC which made him a Heisman Trophy favorite. Lattimore should be fully recovered from his knee injury and will the favorite to win the Heisman Trophy for the 2012 season.
Also check these two sites for other Heisman Trophy news